Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Narragansett Bay of Rhode Island...





I would like to tell you about one of the places we have been staying at. The Narragansett Island & Bay in Rhode Island. It is the north side of the Rhode Island sound. The Bay containes ov 30 islans. Brought together by two different rivers, the Sakonnet and Taunton. Contains two suspention bridges, which you have to cross to get back to the main land of RI.
When you can see out to the ocean (Like I said "when you can see it passed the fog".) You can see way out past the mouth into the Atalntic. With several little islands in the middle. I does look alot like San Franscico, with the clifts on one side, and the hills on the other, with all the fog rolling in over them.
It was first settled by the two Indian tribes the Narragansetts & the Wampanoag. These were first visited by an Italian explore in 1524. Then by the Dutch and English. The first settlement was in 1630's. the first English colony was 1643. The place has experienced so much history from the Gasp'ee Affair of 1772. to the rum-runners of the prohibition. The colonial houses to the million dollar mansions by the Vanderbitls.
You can experince most any kind of sport you would like in the area horseback riding, sailing, fishing, seal watching, hiking, camping... Needless to say you can have a great time while hear. I love to go over the bridges and watch the fog, the sailboats, fishermen... There is so much and because of the weather and or sun, or rain it looks different everytime you go. From our hotel we watch the sunsets, listen to the colors for the flag from the base. Then part of my favorites...the fog horns blowing. It makes me feel like I'm part of a Sherlock-Holmes set. I do hope you all get to come and experience it.

1 comment:

kentuckymommy said...

I sure loved RI when I came up that Christmas when I was 13...maybe it has to do with meeting my future husband there...or maybe it's just a really neat place...Wish we could come up!