Monday, June 1, 2009

The Rock Walls of New England...






The rock walls... I wish I could show pictures of all of them I have seen. They are one of my many favorite things. I have even thought of writing a book about one. Yes, me a book. Just think, "I'll meet you by the wall..." How many different things come to mind?
They are great. They are along the sides of the roads, in the middle of fields, then you see them as you ride by the woods. They just go on off into the forest. Then you'll see another meet up with it out there. With the Maple, and Oaks growing up all around them. You'll see wild blackberry's growing up and over them.
When were they built? Newport was started in 1689. So were they someone's property line? The fence to the farm animals, or was it the starting of the wagon roads? Yes, I sit and think of these things while driving by them.
Have you ever wondered how many children laughed while climbing over them? Or how many young men and women walked along them wish upon a start together? How many family memories were made along these walls? I do hope you get a chance to experience them to one day. I love them. Just think of the stories one can make up while sitting on one...these walls have seen the history of so much from families, homes, selling of farms and land to the wars of our United States. How much more will they see while the squirrels run along their edges and the birds sing above them...

No comments: