Monday, August 31, 2009

Wow what a week...











We have had quite a week. Finished one tropical storm to have another. One of our Senator's passing away. An earthquake in Charleston. Then we drove by Bunker Hill. So where do I start?
I had shown you the pictures I had of TS Bill. So I guess I'll start with TS Danny. I like to say, Oh Danny Boy, I so glad you were not a hurricane. If he was we would have really felt him. We started with the rain from what they said was a Northeasterner. (sorry I forgot to say we went thru that also). Then the rain from Danny started sometime Sat. It kept up until Sun. morning. To me it felt just like any other rainy day.

Lester and I went over to Conn. for the afternoon. Drove thru drizzle most of the way, no winds. Had a good time. That's when we went past Bunker's Hill. I'll do something on that another day. Then came home about 4o'clock. On the way home we started to feel the winds & more rain. But felt like a wind storm in Charleston.

The whole way there were flags at half mass for Senator Kennedy. I could imagine how terrible it is to do all of that on a nice day. But... wow what they must have been going thru. A couple of towns over they said got the most of the rain 6 in.

We then drove by a tower they have here in Newport. I love to look at it when ever we go by. But it just hit me different today. When I noticed the flag wasn't flying at it usual full, filled self up on the top. Then I remembered The senator. I just hadn't thought, well let me say it differently. You know they half mass the flags for them and you see it everywhere. But that, just really brought it home. That he wasn't just a Senator, but a husband, father, brother...then I thought of what all they had been thru. wow, I prya for the family for strength in there losses. Then Lester and I drove on to the beaches here in Middletown, The one's everyone goes to when they come here to Newport. They waves were something to see. I have never seen swells like that in my life! Bill didn't hold a candle to it. Lester and I went up on a look out to see what we could see...WOW!!! While up there we saw what they call Purgatory Chasm. It's a huge crack in the look out hill rocks. I guess you would say. About 10 ft. wide and about 4 stories deep. The wave were crashing into as I had never seen it do. It looked and sounded like something from a movie. Bri and I used to go up there alot when she was little and we lived about 2 blocks from it. But Lester had never seen it before. He was quite impressed.

We say the waves and alot of surfers. They were cool to watch. I don't know if I would ever try it. But it does look like it would be alot of fun to do.

Then here at the hotel later that afternoon I sat watching Fox news and what did I hear but that Charleston, SC had an earthquake that morning, about 12:30 am. It was a 3.6. Guess what my kids didn't even feel it! I sure felt the last one we had when I was home. It felt like something had ran into the side of my house. I praise God they are all safe.

Well until my next blog, I hope you enjoy the pictures.

No comments: