Sunday, December 13, 2009

Newport Mansions











These are a couple of the well known "Newport mansions". I finally got the chance to go see three of these this week. One of the other wives (as I call us), came up this week also. So we went to see the cottages as The Vanderbilt's and others used to call their mansions. We what do I have to say? WOW!!! They are amazing. We first went to The Elms, then The Breakers, then on to The Marble House. The Breaker's was owned by the same Vanderbilt which owned The Baltimore house in NC. Then one of his brothers (I think) owned the Marble House.
We had a good time. Saw some unbelievable things. I think the Breakers was my favorite. I'd go see it again just to see the unbelievable art work! It was everywhere and beautiful. From the tile work, woodwork, door handles...to the frames works of art. There are paintings on the ceilings which came from 1700 chateu's of France.
We had a good time gawking at everything. Oh-ya ...the flowers! Oh the smell. It was fantastic. 22 degrees outside to some of the most beautiful flower arrangements I have every seen. Roses, Lilies, Gardenia's.... the smell was unreal.(Yes, I am still sneezing). We were told there we enough flowers delivered to the Breaker's everyday to there own room to be arranged for up to 38 arrangements daily! The one on the table was 3'x2'.
Yes they had the houses decorated for the Holiday's. It's the only things we could take pictures of inside. I hope you enjoy the tree's as much as we did. Have a wonderful Christmas!

1 comment:

kentuckymommy said...

Those house..if you can call them that, are so beautiful!!!